Veteran Services

Are there any benefit programs that they can help me with?
They can assist you with a wide variety of benefit programs. Here are a few but you should contact their office for more detailed information as eligibility for the programs varies: Monetary Benefits Programs: Compensation for Service Connected disabilities Re-evaluation of existing Service Connected disabilities Non-Service Connected Pension for low income veterans Survivors Benefits: Dependency Indemnity Compensation based on service connected deaths Surviving Spouse’s Death Pension for low income survivors Survivors Benefit Program for survivors of retired military personnel Medical Benefits: Enrollment in VA Health care Information on Military Health Care/TRICARE Prosthetics Specially Adapted Homes/Equipment Civilian Health And Medical Program for Veterans Administration (CHAMPVA) Education Benefits: Montgomery GI Bill Vocational Rehabilitation for service connected disabled veterans

Are women veterans eligible for unique benefits?
Women veterans are eligible for the same Medical Benefit Package as all veterans. Any inpatient care or treatment required which is not available at the preferred treatment facility will be obtained through other facilities or through community health care facilities.

Can I get back payment for my VA compensation claim?
Generally, VA can only pay benefits based on the date of claim. This applies in the case of an original claim, a claim for an increased evaluation, or a claim to add a new disability. If VA finds a clear error was made in an earlier decision, you may receive additional back pay based on that prior claim.

Can you tell me some of the other services that are offered?
Here are a few but you will need to contact them for further information. VA/Cal-Vet Home Loan Programs Requests for Military Records/Awards Discharge Review Information VA Life Insurance Programs -SGLI/VGLI California Veterans Homes Veterans Property Tax Exemptions Burial Benefits VA National Cemeteries

Can you tell me some of the services that Veteran Services provide information on?
They can provide information and assistance with: VA Benefit Programs including Educational Programs VA Health Care to include Substance Abuse treatment programs VA Education Programs VA Home Loan Guaranty Program State of California Veterans They can also make referrals to other agencies for assistance with: Small Business Loans Employment and Job Search assistance

Can you tell me when the next meeting is in my city?
You can view all of the information online through the Solano county website at, veteran services, and community affairs.

How can I check on the status of my pending disability claim? Can I check status online?
To determine the status of a pending claim, you can call 1.800.827.1000 and follow the recorded instructions. Currently, there is no other on-line access to claim information.

How can I check on the status of my pendingdisability claim? Can I check status online?
To determine the status of a pending claim, you can call 1-800-827-1000 and follow the recorded instructions. Currently, there is no other on-line access to claim information

How do I replace my service related records?
Veterans or the next of kin of deceased veterans may obtain duplicate copies by completing forms found on the Internet at and mailing or faxing them to the NPRC. Also, the Veterans Service Office can assist you with these requests.

How may I change my Direct Deposit Destination?
To change your account information, please call our toll-free number, 1.877.838.2778, Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM to 4:50 PM Central Time. Please be prepared to provide your new financial institution’s 9 digit routing number, your new account number and type of account (checking or savings).

How/where do I apply for health care?
VA Health Care has a number of enrollment/eligibility requirements that the Veterans Service Office can explain to you and can assist you in applying for VA Health Care. You should go into one of their offices and they will help you enroll. A copy of your military separation papers (DD 214) may be necessary to apply.

I don''t have health insurance, will VA still treat me?
Yes, whether a veteran has or does not have insurance plays no role in determining whether that individual is eligible for VA health care benefits.

I served in the Reserves/National Guard. Am I eligible for VA benefits?
Eligibility for VA benefits based on Reserve or National Guard service differs from regular Active Duty service. For more information contact the Veterans Service Office. Reservists who serve on active duty establish veteran status and may be eligible for the full-range of VA benefits, depending on the length of active military service and a discharge or release from active duty under conditions other that dishonorable. In addition, reservists not activate may qualify for some VA benefits. National Guard members can establish eligibility for VA benefits if activated for federal service during a period of war or domestic emergency. Activation for other than federal service does not qualify guard members for all VA benefits.

I would like to start my own business. Does VA have a loan program to start a small business?
VA does not offer small business loans. The Small Business Administration may be able to assist you. You can reach them at 1-800-827-5722 or at

I’m a Vet can my children get any educational assistance?
Yes, there are a few educational programs available. For further information on eligibility requirements you will need to contact the Veterans Service Office. Dependents Educational Assistance for dependents of 100% Service Connected veterans or veterans who died from service connected disabilities or while on Active Duty. California’s Dependent’s Fee Waiver Program for children of disabled veterans who meet certain income restrictions.

Where do I find information about education benefits and the GI Bill?
For all information about education benefits/GI Bill, go to

Who is eligible for burial in a VA National Cemetery?
To confirm your eligibility for burial benefits, please call a Veteran’s Benefits Counselor at 707.784.6590. Any member of the Armed Forces of the United States who dies on active duty.
(1) Any veteran who was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable. With certain exceptions, service beginning after September 7, 1980, as an enlisted person, and service after October 16, 1981, as an officer, must be for a minimum of 24 continuous months or the full period for which the person was called to active duty (as in the case of a Reservist called to active duty for a limited duration). Undesirable, bad conduct, and any other type of discharge other than honorable may or may not qualify the individual for veterans benefits, depending upon a determination made by a VA Regional Office. Cases presenting multiple discharges of varying character are also referred for adjudication to a VA Regional Office.

(2) Any citizen of the United States who, during any war in which the United States has or may be engaged, served in the Armed Forces of any Government allied with the United States during that war, whose last active service was terminated honorably by death or otherwise, and who was a citizen of the United States at the time of entry into such service and at the time of death.

(3) The spouse or surviving spouse of an eligible veteran is eligible for interment in a national cemetery even if that veteran is not buried or memorialized in a national cemetery. In addition, the spouse or surviving spouse of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States whose remains are unavailable for burial is also eligible for burial.

(4) The minor children of an eligible veteran. For purpose of burial in a national cemetery, a minor child is a child who is unmarried and:
(a) Who is under 21 years of age; or,
(b) Who is under 23 years of age and pursuing a full-time course of instruction at an approved educational institution.

Will VA give me a loan to buy a home?
The VA doesn’t make loans they guarantee loans. They act as a sort of co-signer. If and how much of a loan you qualify for is based on your income and credit. You can contact a realtor of mortgage lender to see how much of a loan you would qualify for. All that you need from VA is your Certificate of Eligibility. Your lender can help you obtain this certificate or contact Veteran Services.

Show all Categories