Vital Records

Can I change my name on my birth certificate?
Yes, however a court order may be required.

Can I get a copy of my Divorce decree from Vital Records?
No, Vital records does not carry divorce records. You will need to contact Family Law at 707.207.7340.  or

Can I get an Informational copy of a birth/death/marriage certificate?
Yes, an Information copy has an overlay over the top stating the certificate is not valid to establish identity. Informational copies are NOT accepted by DMV, Social Security or Passport Services.  The fee is the same as a certified copy; however a notarized sworn statement is not required.  Anyone can obtain an informational copy of a certificate as long as they provide the correct information (full name and date of event) on the application.  Information copies are useful for conducting genealogy research.

Can I get an original/replacement copy of my birth certificate with a raised seal?
All certificates issued in Solano County are certified copies of the original on file and have a raised seal.  Please note that a raised seal is not a legal requirement and that the State Office of Vital Records no longer provides certificates with a raised seal.

Can I order by mail?
Yes, you can download the application form online.  Complete the appropriate application, have the sworn statement notarized.   Include payment by check preprinted with current name and address, cashier’s check or money order made payable to Vital Records.  Certificate Fees (per copy) are as follows:  Birth - $30.00; Death - $23.00 and Marriage - $17.00.

Can I order Online?
From our Vitals Records page, follow the link for online orders (VitalChek).  There is an additional $7.00 processing fee for using your credit card.

Can I pay with my credit card without going online?
Yes, but only if you come into our office in person.

Can I view a certificate?
Yes anyone can view a certificate.  Viewing can only be done in the office in the presence of a Vital Records employee.  The requester must complete an application and have the full name and date of event. After viewing the certificate is returned to the employee.  No copies of the certificate are allowed.  There is no fee to view a certificate.

Can you give me directions?
You can view the Maps link to get directions.

Do you have (name)’s birth, death, marriage certificate?
Birth, Death and Marriage certificates are not public record.  No information can be disclosed.  We can only confirm if we have a certificate on file with the information that you provide.  We normally have the certificates available 4 to 6 weeks after the date of the event.

From the time my marriage certificate is turned in, how long before I can obtain a copy?
All marriage certificates go through a meticulous screening process to ensure all registration requirements are met.  All certificates received during the week are reviewed, and if the certificate meets all registration requirements it will be available the following Wednesday.  If it does not meet requirements, it will be returned to the Officiant for corrections.  It is strongly suggested that you contact Vital Records at 707.784.6294 prior to coming into the office to obtain a copy.

How to obtain a certified copy in person?
Note that Vital Records only has certificates for those events that occurred in Solano County.  Public office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4pm excluding holidays.  Applications are available in our office.  Fill out the application (include full name and date of  event (birth/death/marriage).

Bring your photo I.D..  Fess per copy are as follows:  Birth - $30.-0; Death - $23.00 and Marriage - $17.00

Confidential Marriage Certificates are only available from the County Clerks’s Office.

I faxed in my sworn statement, did you receive my fax?
PleDue to the number of faxes received on a daily basis, if you would like to know if your fax was received you may email an inquiry stating the VitalChek Order Number, date that you faxed your sworn statement and the name on the certificate to [email protected] and you will receive an email response by the end of the day.

I ordered my birth certificate through VitalChek and my credit card was declined. What do I do?
Please call Vital Records for further assistance at 707-784-6294.

I was born in another county. Can I get my birth certificate from your office?

No, we only have records for events that occurred in Solano County.  If you are a U.S. Citizen born overseas, you must contact passport services at 202-485-8300.


If I was adopted, do you have my birth certificate?
Yes, however we may have to request a copy from the State, and may take an additional 10 to 14 days to process. When completing the application, please make a note that you were adopted and include your mother's maiden name.

What are your fees?

Our fees per copy are as follows:  Birth - $30.00; Death - $23.00; Marriage - $17.00


What are your office hours?
Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4pm, excluding holidays.

Phone hours are Monday through Friday from 9am to 4pm.

Who can obtain a copy of a birth/death/marriage certificate?
Birth, Death and Marriage certificates are not public record.  Only an authorized person may obtain a regular certified copy.  An authorized person is designated as: parent, grandparent, legal guardian (must have proof of guardianship), child, grandchild, sibling, spouse, registered domestic partner, licensed attorney, member of a government agency or a funeral home.  Confidential marriage certificates are only available at the County Clerk’s Office.

Who do I contact if I have additional questions?
You may call our office Monday through Friday from 9am to 4pm.  Please note that our phone lines are extremely busy. You may send an email to [email protected].   Please provide any pertinent information in your inquiry such as full name and date of event.  We try to answer all emails by the end of each business day.

Why can’t I find the death certificate for someone who lived in Solano County?
Death Certificates are recorded in the county where the individual was pronounced dead.

Will I be able to receive my copy right there if I go in person?
Yes, depending on the line it may take 5 to 30 minutes.  However, in special cases, we may need to request your certificate from the State Office, which may take up to an additional 2 weeks.  For certificates prior to 1925 we require 24 hours to research our records.

Show all Categories