Environmental Health

Can I start clearing burn debris from my property?

Legally, yes, but the County strongly encourages you to wait, if possible, for the potential release of state funds and the specialized resources that would come with it.

Can I start disposing of household hazardous waste (HHW) from my burned property?

Yes. HHW can be brought to the following locations:

Dixon, Vacaville and Unincorporated Areas:
Recology Vacaville Solano Recycling Center
855 1/2 Davis Street, Vacaville
(No appointments are necessary for this service for residents. Businesses must make an appointment by calling 1-800-207-8222. The center is open every Saturday from 9am to 3pm.)

Fairfield, Suisun, Travis and Unincorporated Areas:
Republic Services, Solano Garbage
2901 Industrial Court, Fairfield
Appointments are required, call 707-437-8971
This center is open for HHW on the 2nd & 4th Saturday from 9am-12pm

Can I do my own work or hire my own contractor?

Yes, an owner may do work on their own property, but the County will require a cleanup work plan submitted to and approved by Solano County Environmental Health. Please be advised that should state funds become available at a later time, work completed on your own may not be eligible for funding.

Where can I take materials for disposal/recycling?

Recology Hay Road Landfill in Vacaville and Potrero Hills Landfill in Suisun City can accept ash and burn debris only with written approval from a Certified Asbestos Consultant. Scrap Metal can be taken to Recology Hay Road Landfill if self-hauled or in a debris box supplied by the landfill.

If I want to wait for state funds, what should I do in the meantime?

The primary concern is keeping the debris from becoming airborne dust. This can be accomplished by wetting the debris or covering it with tarps or plastic sheeting. Whenever handling or working near debris, be sure that all people utilize appropriate Personal Protective Equipment.


Should you or any other interested person(s) have any questions or concerns not fully addressed in this document, please contact Environmental Health staff.

Show all Categories