|Restrictive Covenant Modification
Current law prohibits public documents from being recorded with discriminatory or restrictive covenant language (i.e., age, race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, familial status, marital status, disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, or national origin).
The recent passing of Assembly Bill 1466 (AB 1466) aims to remove any discriminatory or restrictive covenant language on historical public record
Public Request to Record a Restrictive Covenant Modification
The Restrictive Covenant Modification form is available on our website or in person during the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at 675 Texas Street, Fairfield CA 94533.
- Complete Restrictive Covenant Modification form with a signature
- Highlight or underline the unlawful language on the recorded document
- Attach a copy of the original recorded document with recommended redaction to the signed Restrictive Covenant Modification
- Submission Options:
- In-person: Drop off document to the Recorders Office
- Email (only forms signed digitally) to [email protected]
- Mail document to: Solano County Assessor/Recorder, 675 Texas Street Ste. 2700, Fairfield CA 94533
Documents submitted to remove discriminatory or restrictive covenant language will be reviewed by Solano County Counsel. Once approved Solano County Counsel will sign the form and return it to the Recorder’s Office to complete the recording and indexing process. The document will be recorded as a Restrictive Covenant Modification. There will be no charge to record. The document will be indexed as a Restrictive Covenant Modification and the original document title, referencing the original book/page or instrument number. The original document will be returned to the name and address in the “When Recorded Return to” section of the document.
Solano County Restrictive Covenant Modification Plan
Our office will implement a comprehensive search and review of every document recorded in Solano County from 1850 to the present. Historical recorded documents that contain unlawful discriminatory or restrictive covenant language will be redacted and re-recorded. The full scope of the implementation can be viewed and downloaded here:
Restrictive Covenant Modification Implementation Plan