Housing & Vector Program FAQ
My neighbor has garbage (dog droppings, live chickens, etc.) in their yard, what can I do?
The best thing you can do is to talk to your neighbor about the problem. If the neighbor is a renter, you may also want to contact the property owner. You may find the name and address of the owner by contacting the County Tax Assessor at (707) 784-6210. If the neighbor does not respond, or if you feel uncomfortable talking to your neighbor, you may submit a complaint to this office by calling (707) 784-6765.
I have mold in my home, what can I do to get rid of it?
Molds are simple, microscopic organisms. They are found everywhere. There are several varieties of mold. The colors range from white, orange, green, brown and black. Some people can experience allergic reactions to mold. Molds grow best in warm, moist, dark environments. The simplest remedy to prevent mold in your home is to provide for plenty of air circulation. If you have a wall mounted heater you may need to open windows and use fans to keep the air circulating in your home. If mold growth does appear, household cleaners, or a solution of bleach and water can be used. For more detailed information, read: Mold in my home: What can I do?
Can I get sick from mold?
Reactions to mold can range from severe to mild. Usually the reaction is similar to exposure to pollen or other allergens. Your reaction depends upon your own immune system. If you have mold in your home, you should try to get rid of it (see question above). If you feel sick, and you are not getting better, you may need to see your doctor to determine the cause of your illness.
Do you test for mold in homes?
The Department of Resource Management does not test mold in homes. If you would like to test the mold in your home, you may do so at your own expense by contacting a private testing laboratory.  How to Clean Mold contains a list of laboratories that can test for mold and abatement companies that can asist in clean-up.
I am afraid my child may be exposed to lead, where can I have water, paint or soil tested for lead in my home?
Children are at the greatest risk for obtaining lead poisoning. Homes built prior to 1978 are more likely to contain lead paint or lead water pipes. A blood test is the only reliable means of determining your child's exposure to lead. If you would like your child tested for lead exposure, you should contact your family doctor or, Public Health at (707) 784-8070. You may have the water, paint, or soil tested at your own expense at a private testing laboratory. For a list of laboratories you may contact the Department of Resource Management at (707) 784-6765.
Do you have a vector control program?
Yes. The program consists of educational brochures and legal action where applicable.  The Department does not perform vector abatement activities.
What do I do if I see rodents (mice and rats) in or around the house I rent /or own?
Rodents require three things to live: food, water and shelter. By allowing rodents access to food, water and shelter, you may be attracting them to your home. Reduce this attracting by reducing food and water.
  • If you have fruit trees in your yard, be sure to pick up any fallen fruit on a daily basis.
  • Feed your pets indoors.
  • Feed you pet meals, rather than leaving food in bowls throughout the day and night.
  • Make sure all of your food is in durable sealable containers.
  • Avoid storing food in bags or boxes that rodents can chew through.
  • Make sure your garbage is bagged and stored in containers with lids.
  • Avoid providing access to your pets? water, or puddling in your landscaping.
  • Avoid providing shelter by removing any ivy from your yard.
  • Make sure all of your bushes are trimmed at the bottom so that rodents cannot hide among them.
  • Patch any holes into your home that would allow rodents access.
  • You may also want to contact a licensed pest control operator to find out about snap traps, glue boards and rodent poisons.
  • If you rent your home and your landlord has not responded to your complaints regarding rodents, or you would like more information, contact the Department of Resource Management at (707) 784-6765 to submit a complaint.

Additional information can be found in the  Rat Prevention Tips brochure.

How do I get rid of pigeons?
Pigeons are commonly attracted to places where they can roost that is protected from sun, wind and rain. If you have eaves on your roof, or other locations where pigeons are roosting, the best solution is exclusion. You may exclude the pigeons by using wire mesh or other construction material to prevent pigeons from roosting. You may also need to contact a licensed pest control operator. To obtain a brochure on controlling pigeons, you may contact the Department of Resource Management (707) 784-6765 for a pigeon brochure.
Are bats dangerous?
There are 24 known species of bats in California. Five of these species form colonies, where they gather in caves, barns or attics of houses. Bats may seem very strange and creepy, but bats are a very important part of the ecosystem. They eat large quantities of insects, including mosquitoes. For this reason, they should not be killed needlessly. Bats can be dangerous, however. About one in every one thousand bats is infested with rabies. This creates a potential threat to humans. Bats infected with rabies do not attack people, they typically get sick, fall to the ground and die. They will, however, bite in self-defense. To ensure safety:
  • NEVER handle bats. Make sure your children know to never handle any wild animal, especially one that is sick, dying or dead.
  • Vaccinate your pets against rabies.
  • Prevent bats from entering your home. Bats can enter a house through an opening that is as small as 3/8 inch wide.
  • Never kill bats. DO NOT USE POISONS OR BAITS. This may cause sick or dying bats to fall to the ground where pets and children can become exposed to them.

Additional information can be found in the How to Control Bats in Your Home  brochure

My family member has lice, what should I do?
Lice can be transmitted through direct contact with an infested person, or indirectly through shared brushes, combs, clothing or bedding. Normal hair grooming and regular shampooing CANNOT prevent or eradicate an infestation. Proper pesticides must be used to get rid of a lice infestation. For proper diagnosis and treatment, contact your family doctor, or Solano County Department of Public Health at (707) 784-8070.