Pools FAQ
Do you offer training in pool operation and maintenance?

No, we do not offer training. There are companies that offer training in pool operation for a fee. Contact your local pool equipment supply store for businesses in your area

Can I discharge my pool water into the storm drain?

It is illegal to discharge pool water into the storm drain. Bay area storm drains flow directly into our creeks, wetlands and the bay. Water from your pool can damage the fragile ecosystems in these areas. To prevent damage to the environment and to dispose of your wastewater legally, follow these helpful hints:

  • Never clean a filter in the street or near a storm drain.
  • Rinse cartridge filters onto a dirt area, and spade filter residue into the soil.
  • Backwash sand and diatomaceous earth filters onto dirt. Dispose of spent diatomaceous earth in the garbage.
  • It is best to discharge wastewater to a sanitary sewer clean out. If you need assistance in locating the clean out, call the local wastewater treatment authority.
  • When draining a pool to the sanitary sewer, prevent back flow by maintaining an "air gap" between your discharge line and the sewer line.
  • When it is time to drain a pool, spa or fountain, be sure to call the local treatment plant for further guidance on flow rate restrictions, back flow prevention, and handling special cleaning waste.
  • Keep flow rates to no more than is possible through a garden hose. Higher rates may be prohibited by local ordinances.
Do you inspect residential pools?

No, the Solano County Department of Resource Management, Environmental Health Division does not inspect residential pools. We only inspect public swimming pools for compliance with the California Health and Safety Code.

However, if you are constructing a private swimming pool within the city limits, contact your city building department. If you are constructing a private swimming pool in the unincorporated area of the county, contact the county building division at (707) 784-6765

Are children allowed in pools without adult supervision?

Children under the age of 14 are not allowed in public swimming pools without adult supervision. Are lifeguards required at public pools A lifeguard is not required at public swimming pools. However, if a lifeguard is not provided, a sign must be posted that is visible from the pool deck that reads "WARNING, NO LIFE GUARD ON DUTY". Lifeguard service is required for any public swimming pool when a direct fee is charged. For example: YMCA or a City Pool.

There was a fecal accident in the pool, what should I do? 
If a fecal accident occurs, the pool should be closed immediately. Remove all visible fecal matter and dispose of it in the toilet. The free chlorine residual in the pool water must reach a level that is high enough to disinfect the water, and the level must be maintained over a sufficient time period so that the pool will be completely disinfected. Use the following as a guide for recommended free chlorine levels and the required corresponding time:

    20 parts per million for 8 hours, OR

    40 parts per million for 4 hours, OR

    60 parts per million for 2.6 hours, OR

    80 parts per million for 2 hours

While disinfecting the pool, maintain the pH between 7.2 to 7.6. The filtration system must be operated continuously during the disinfection process. The filter material should be backwashed and the filter material replenished, as needed, at the mid-point of the disinfection period and again at the end of the period prior to placing the pool back in use. If the public pool is small, such as a spa or wading pool, the water may be drained and discharged to the sanitary sewer. The interior of the pool should be disinfected with a solution of one part of 12% sodium hypochlorite (fresh liquid pool chlorine) in 20 parts of clean water for at least two minutes. After disinfection, the pool may be reopened when the free chlorine residual is reduced to between 1.0 ? 2.5 parts per million, and the pH is between 7.2 ? 7.6

Do I need a permit to operate my swimming pool or spa?

All public swimming pools require a permit to operate the pool or spa. The permit is issued by the Department of Resource Management. A public pool is one that is intended for use by three or more families and their guests. For example, a pool used by two families at a duplex would not be required to be permitted, but a pool used by three families at a triplex would require to obtain a permit

Do I need to submit plans to the Department of Resource Management before constructing or altering the public swimming pool or spa?

A plan check is required for new construction or remodeling of public pools. To read the "Instructions to Accompany an Application for a Permit to Construct a Public Pool" click here
.  To read the "Instructions to Accompany and Application for a Permit to Construct a Public Spa" click here.  Or contact the Solano County Department of Resource Management at (707) 784-6765 for more details

I want to place a cover on my pool or spa, can I do this?

A pool cover can be dangerous for children and adults who can become trapped underneath them. This Department does not recommend pool covers. Properly designed covers may be allowed after review by this Department.

Are babies required to wear diapers in public pools?

Babies often urinate or defecate when immersed in water. An ordinary diaper does not prevent the waste from exiting the diaper. There are special, waterproof diapers that babies can wear that contain the waste in their diapers. Babies should wear waterproof and leak proof diapers in a public pool

What are the proper chemical levels for the pool?

The free chlorine residual should be between 1.5 to 2.5 parts per million. The pH level should be between 7.2 to 7.8. If cyanuric acid is used, it should be below 100 parts per million

Where can I get a copy of the swimming pool law?

To read or download "The Design, Construction, Operation and Maintenance of Public Swimming Pools" click here

What is cyanuric acid?

Cyanuric acid is a chlorine stabilizer that is present in many granulated chlorine products. Over time it will accumulate in the pool water. Excessive levels can interfere with the effectiveness of the chlorine in the pool. It should be tested once a month and should not be allowed to exceed 100 parts per million. If the concentration reaches over 100 parts per million, contact your local pool company or pool operator for advice on how to lower the concentration below 100 parts per million.

Can I get an illness (i.e. Eye infection, rash, E-Coli, Hepatitis, AIDS etc.) from a swimming pool?

Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) is commonly transmitted by contact with infected blood. There is no record of anyone ever getting AIDS from a swimming pool. Hepatitis is another disease that can be transmitted through blood contact. It is extremely unlikely that AIDS or hepatitis could be transmitted in a pool.

Algae, bacteria, and improper chemical levels can lead to eye irritations, skin rashes and other minor problems. If you feel that you got sick from a public swimming pool, and would like to submit a complaint, contact the Department of Resource Management at (707) 784-6765.

Do I need ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) even if I don't use the pool lights?

Even if you promise to not use the pool lights, the lights are still required to have GFCI. This is to prevent electrocution of bathers in the pool

How often do you inspect pools and spas?

Pools and spas are routinely inspected at least once per year. Re-inspections and complaints would increase the frequency of inspections.