List Of Frequently Asked Questions

Am I qualified to be a registered voter?
If you meet the following:

  • A U.S. citizen
  • A resident of California
  • Not currently in state or federal prison for the conviction of a felony (for more information please see Voting Rights: Persons with a criminal History
  • At least 18 years of age on the date of the election (A person may register to vote at age 16 or 17 if they meet all of the other eligibility requirements and will be automatically registered on their 18th birthday)
  • Not currently found mentally incompetent to vote by a court (for more information please see: Voting Rights: Persons Subject to Conservatorship)

Am I registered to vote?
You can look up your registration status by using our online service below.

Registration Status Lookup

As a Pollworker, will I receive training on what to do?
Yes. Our county provides classroom training on procedures and hands-on equipment training. Inspector and clerk classes are offered separately in various locations within the county. Classes vary in length but are usually 2-3 hours depending upon the type of class being offered. Training classes for new workers in Solano County will generally last longer than classes designated for experienced workers. All poll workers who attend training receive an additional $20 added to their stipend provided they work on Election Day.  Training is mandatory for all Inspectors at each election.  Training is optional for clerks, although we strongly recommend attending, especially if this is your first time working in Solano County or if you are a brand new clerk. 

Can I become a Poll worker?
To become a poll worker you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be available to serve at the polls on Election Day (starting at 6am until all duties are completed)
  • Be able to speak, read and write English; speaking Spanish or another foreign language is a definite benefit.
  • Be available to attend mandatory training

If you meet all of qualifications above, contact the Registrar of Voters office at 707-784-6675. Hours of operation are 8:00A.M. - 5:00 P.M. Monday – Friday.

Learn more on our pollworker pages

Can I go to my prior county of residence and vote?
No. You will be registered to vote in Solano County as soon as you move and update either your DMV records, post office records, or complete a new voter registration form. If you moved to Solano County after to the registration deadline, you can vote a Conditional Voter Registration (CVR) in the office of the ROV anytime before or including election day. You are eligible to vote in the county you reside in as soon as you reside in that county. There are no residency requirements in California

Can I register to vote online?
Yes. You can register to vote online. 

Online Voter Registration Form

Can I vote by mail permanently?
Yes. You would select that option when you request the vote by mail ballot. You can also fill out our Permanent Vote by Mail request form and send it to our office:

Solano County Registrar of Voters
675 Texas Street Suite 2600
Fairfield, CA 94533

If you are a permanent vote-by-mail voter, you will automatically receive a vote-by-mail ballot for each election. If you fail to cast a ballot in two consecutive statewide general elections, you will be removed from the permanent vote-by-mail voter list and will need to reapply in order to restore status.

Permanent Vote by Mail Request Form

Can someone else return/pick up this for me?
Yes. Any person may return the ballot on your behalf. Regardless of how the ballot is returned, it MUST be received by any California Registrar of Voters office by 8:00pm on election day, or received by mail within 7 days of the election if postmarked or dated by the voter on or before election day.

For pick-up only the voter or their spouse, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild, or sibling or a person residing in the same household as the absent voter may pick up the ballot. The voter must write a note authorizing the pick-up of their vote by mail ballot. The note must be signed by the voter and must include their address, and the name of the person picking up the ballot.

How can I vote by mail?
All registered voters will receive and may vote a VBM ballot. Voters may cast VBM ballots in person in the Elections office during the VBM voting period which begins twenty-nine days before an election and extends until the close of polls on Election Day. Regular office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The office is open from 7:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.

For more information please call the Solano County Registrar of Voter's office at 707-784-6675.

To update residence address or other voter registration information, please re-register at or call are office at 707-784-6675 to request a Voter Registration Card be mailed to you.

How do I get election results on election night?
The website will have real time results beginning approximately 8:15 p.m.

How much is a poll worker paid? How long does it take to receive a poll worker pay check?
Poll workers receive a stipend for their service according to the ROV stipend chart.

ROV Stipend Chart

How often do I have to re- register?
You will only need to re-register when:
• You move
• You change your name
• You change your political party affiliation

I am a high school student; can I work at the polls?
Solano County currently partners with several high schools to recruit students under our Student Poll Worker Program. The program requires that the student be:

  • At least 16 years of age by the day of the election in which he/she wishes to serve.
  • In good standing at the school and have a GPA of at least 2.5.
For more information contact the Registrar of Voters office at 707-784-6675.

I am a new citizen and voter registration is closed, are there any exceptions?
Yes, a person who becomes a new citizen within 7 days after registration closed may vote in the local office but will also need to provide proof of citizenship prior to voting. The new citizenship must have been issued between the 7 days. Before or after that timeframe you will not be able to vote in the current election.

I did not receive my sample ballot. How can I get one?
The sample ballots are now available on the website to view or download. You can also go into the Fairfield office and pick one up or you could have one mailed to you.

Fairfield Office: Registrar of Voters 675 Texas Street Suite 2600 Fairfield, California 94533

I did not receive my state pamphlet. How can I get one?
You may obtain the information on the Secretary of State’s website at or you can also go into the Fairfield office and pick one up.

Fairfield Office: Registrar of Voters 675 Texas Street Suite 2600 Fairfield, California 94533

I have moved do I need a new registration card?
Yes, note any changes to your address, name, or political party and you  may re-register at any of the following locations:

  • All offices of the Department of Motor Vehicles
  • All City clerk’s offices
  • Public Libraries
  • Post Offices
  • Registrar of voters office
  • Register to Vote Online

I just moved to California and Solano County. Voter registration is already closed are there any exceptions?
Yes, any resident can appear at the Registrar of voters office after the close of registration use the conditional voter registration process to cast a ballot. Our staff will perform the necessary registration checks, and issue the correct ballot to you. This option is only available at the registrar of voters' office at 675 Texas St, Fairfield. Please call 707-784-6675 for additional details.

I registered at DMV and the county says I''m not registered. What can I do?
You must go to the Registrar of Voters' office and complete a new registration form. You will be able to cast a ballot once your registration is validated in our system. Please call 707-784-6675 for additional details.

I requested a vote by mail ballot, but did not receive one.
If you requested a vote by mail ballot and have not received one, please give our office a call at (707)784-6675.

I requested and received a vote by mail ballot, but now I’ve decided want to vote at the polls, can I do that?
Yes. Take the unused by mail ballot, sealed in the identification envelope (don’t sign the envelope) and surrender it to the precinct official. You can vote a regular ballot at the polls. If you don’t have the ballot and id envelope to surrender then you will have to vote a provisional ballot at your polling place.

I reside overseas or am in the military, can I still vote?
Yes, if you are a US citizen and are going to be overseas or if you are in the military and wish to vote-by-mail, there are special provisions for you to register and receive an overseas absentee/vote-by-mail ballot.

To do this you may need to complete a Federal Post Card Registration and Absentee Ballot Request(FPCA), you can download this application from, You can either mail it to your local county elections official at:
Registrar of Voters
675 Texas Street Suite 2600
Fairfield, California 94533
Or Fax at: 707.784.3894

I think I threw away my ballot, can I get another one?
Yes, you can call our office anytime to request a replacement ballot during business hours: (707) 784-6675. Or you can send an e-mail to: [email protected] and we will work with you to ensure you get a new replacement ballot.

If I cannot go and get the form can I register by mail?
Yes. You may call the Registrar of Voters office at (707)-784-6675, (888)-933-VOTE (8683) or the Secretary of State at 1-(800)-345-VOTE and a registration form will be mailed to you.

You may also register to vote online.

Is there a vote by mail deadline?
The deadline to request that a vote by mail ballot be mailed to a voter is seven days prior to the election. Vote by mail ballot requests in the seven days prior to the election must be made in the Fairfield office. Regardless of how the ballot is returned, it MUST be received by any California Registrar of Voters office by 8:00pm on election day, or received by mail within 7 days of the election if postmarked or dated by the voter on or before election day.

There seems to be some variation with my mailing address or I need some sort of voter documentation.
Please contact our office during business hours: 707-784-6675.

What are the duties of a poll worker?

The overall role of poll workers is to assist every qualified voter to cast a ballot and ensure that each ballot is safely secured until it can be counted.  Duties are shared among the poll workers assigned to the polling place. Typically, a polling location will have 1 Inspector and 3 clerks assigned to it.

The Inspector has overall responsibility for managing the election tasks and processes required at the polling place. Examples of Inspector duties are opening and closing the polling place, operating the voting systems and returning ballots and supplies to the designated collection center. 

Clerks assist the Inspectors and perform such functions as checking in voters, securing voter signatures and issuing ballots to voters.  When you are selected to serve, you will be assigned a duty. Your confirmation letter will identify which position (duty) you will be performing.

Generally, poll workers work from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. (approximately 15 hours) on Election Day. Frequent breaks may be taken.

What is the deadline to register to vote?
The voter registration deadline is 15 days before an election. Voters who miss this deadline can still complete a conditional voter registration form at the Registrar of Voter's office and will be able to cast a ballot in-person at our office. Please call our office for additional information: 707-784-6675.

When are poll workers recruited?
Once your name has been placed in the poll worker database, a poll worker recruitment card will be sent to you approximately 90 days before an election to check on your availability for the upcoming election.  When you receive the card, please return it as soon as possible, since assignments are made on a first come first served basis.

Receipt of the availability card does not automatically ensure that you will be assigned to work.  Please make certain your voter registartion and/ or poll worker contact information is up to date and includes all contact numbers (cell, home, work) to make it easy to reach you.

Where can I register to vote?
You can register to vote at our Fairfield office located at:
675 Texas Street Suite 2600

You can pick up registration forms at the following locations.
• All offices of the Department of Motor Vehicles
• All City clerk’s offices
• Public Libraries
• Post Offices
• Registrar of Voters office 

Where is my polling location?

You can do the following to determine your polling place:

  • Use our online look up form.
  • You can call the automated system at 707-784-6675
  • Your polling place name and address are located on the front of your sample ballot.

Who are our candidates, elected, and appointed officials?
You can find that information at the link below.

List of Offices

Why am I showing Inactive?
An inactive voter means a voter for whom a county has received returned mail through the United States Postal Service National Change of Address database. You will need to contact our office at (707)784-6675.
Note: If you do not vote in two consecutive Federal general elections you are subject to cancellation of your voter registration